Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Figuring Out the Plug-in Prius

On Monday, Toyota executives announced that the plug-in version of the Prius will be the cheapest green car of its kind when it comes to market by 2012. Sounds good, but there are a few questions I've never had cleared up about the plug-in Prius. Call me stupid, that's okay. What’s not clear to me is exactly how it works. It’s battery-powered range is limited – 12 to 15 miles, which doesn't sound like much. It will differ from the hybrid Prius with its lithium-ion battery. Otherwise, they’ll be very similar with the same electric motors and internal combustion engines. I’m interested in hearing how Toyota will describe the plug-in Prius’ distinctions and benefits. I think it's essentially a hybridized plug-in, a surgically joined twin. I look forward to being less stupid about it.

1 comment:

Lucas said...

Great blog, I enjoyed reading it.